Subject: Re: EtherH problems...
To: Chris Rutter <chris@collegium.co.uk>
From: Dave J Thorn <dave@axa.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/1997 19:29:02
On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Chris Rutter wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  With sa110-4740, I get a proper init string, but then later "transceiver
> failure; heartbeat not found". On reset, the EtherH card fails to work.
> Occasionally, I boot up 4740 and the card works...
>
>  All have been tried w and w/o the ehbug feature, and *all* after a RISC OS
> session, then an *ehtest, then booting RiscBSD.
>
>  Any ideas?

Ummm sorry to do this but

<AOL> Me too ! </AOL>

I've just installed RiscBSD after having an alpha-2 installation about 18
months ago and I've been lurking on the mailing list ever since. The
machine is a RPC600 (Mk I) with 24+2MB RAM, 425MB HD + 850MB HD (RiscBSD
installed above 512 MB ROS partition on this), AKF60.

All the sets were downloaded today, and I originally installed Kernel
4958. Under RiscOS the card is reported as :

i-cubed ltd, EtherLan 600 Ethernet interface
                  Unit 0, slot 8, 16-bit driver.
                  Ethernet address=00:c0:32:00:73:dc
                  10BaseT (twisted pair) interface in use.

The card was purchased about a month ago and has EtherH 4.18, MBufManager
0.13 in ROM (If that helps).

I can occasionally get the card to work using 4740 from the FTP site, but
anything greater than that the card is reported as existing but nothing
further can be found (ie netslot0 : i-cubed .....
                         podule8 : not configuref)
Under 4740, when it works, its great - there are a few errors
   eg                    ug1 /netbsd: eh: no carrier
and such like - but I can manage to run things like Netscape from various
other UNIX boxes and such like (any way to route these to a file rather
than appearing in every possible X window ?)

If anyone has a solution or a workaround I'd be most grateful.

	Thanks,

		Dave Thorn