Subject: Re: Any chance of some help?
To: Ben Willmore <bw200@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/1997 14:17:57
On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Ben Willmore wrote:

> I've managed to install RiscBSD and X etc. (and I was amazed by how easy
> it was - nice one, kernel team etc.), but my ethernet card is causing
> problems...

  Let me guess, it's an EtherH card from Acorn or I cubed?

> The card is an I-cubed EtherH and as far as I can tell it's configured
> correctly.  "ehbug" is specified in the !BtRiscBSD config window, and I

> Has anyone come across this problem before?  I'd be very grateful for some
> advice.

  Yep. This problem's been there from the beginning. The
problem stems from the driver for the card being full of bugs.

  Apparently Mark is completely rewriting the driver from scratch. This
will make it faster and better, but as yet this isn't finished.

  My solution to the problem was to go through the driver's source
code and comment out all of the common messages.  I actually found this
to make the card significantly faster too :)

  If you wish to do this, and have enough disk/inclination to build your
own kernels, the file you want to edit is
/usr/src/sys/arch/arm32/podulebus/if_eh.c

  There's a slightly out of date file on how to compile kernels on the
ftp site.

Good luck!

Ale.