Subject: Suggestion: hard drive buyers guide
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olly Betts <olly@muscat.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/07/1997 11:39:06
It looks like I've finally got the time to install RiscBSD, and I really need
another drive for it.  Being a good netizen I've read both the RiscBSD and c.s.a
FAQs, but I'm still not certain what to buy.  I suspect I'll end up getting
something from a local supplier on an "if it doesn't work, I can take it back"
basis, but it seems a shame that there isn't better information available.

Hopefully this is of general interest -- I doubt I'm the only one wanting to
buy a new drive for RiscBSD.  Ideally I want something for the internal IDE
interface of an earlish model Risc PC 600, to work alongside the Acorn supplied
420M drive.  Now for example, looking at local suppliers in Cambridge, World
of Computers do a Quantum 3.2GB IDE (thought that was bigger than IDE could do?)
for 196 quid + VAT, but if I look at the currently available information I find
no assurance that this will work:

RiscBSD FAQ says:
> The following IDE harddiscs are supported.
>
> * Standard RiscPC internal IDE drives
> * Conner CFS drives
> * Most other IDE drives support by the RiscPC

The "Most" in the last line worries me a little, as I know Unix is generally
rather more demanding on drives, and besides it seems that the drive list in the
c.s.a FAQ isn't very up to date (not the FAQ maintainer's fault, as it relies on
people sending info in).

So it seems to me it would be useful to have a RiscBSD specific list of
drive/machine/interface/other drive combinations which are known to work.
I'm happy to coordinate such a list, so if you've got a combination which
works, or doesn't work, mail me with:

* (approximate) date tested
* drive details (manufacturer, model, and size, and anything else of use)
* interface used
* details of any other drives on the same interface, and master/slave
  arrangement (for IDE)
* software versions (RISC OS/firmware on interface (for UnixFS), RiscBSD)
* machine details (probably model number and processor is enough)
* any caveats, tricks, comments

If I seem to have missed anything, please point it out.

Olly