Subject: Re: Some Qs
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/06/1997 14:34:14
On Feb 6, 10:37am, Thomas Marx wrote:
> Subject: Some Qs
> Hi!
> I have installed BSD on myADFS 5 drive. I used the complete drive from cyl 0
> to the end. Now mounting HD5a or HD5e gives
> 'Bad filecore bootblock
> 7
> Filecore boot block checksum failed'
>
> What is this?
>
> Another thing : Who do I spindown drived undex BSD which I do not use?
>
> Another: I installed emacs and it worked fine. But someday it just crashes
> when I start it, make a frame and open a file. Is it possible that this
> has something with a colouring of text to do? The systems tells me sometimes
> that it has problem with colourtables. When I install the emacs-bn set again
> it works.
>
> And the last: I use the afterstep. But everytime I start X it looks
different.
> Sometimes the colours are missing, sometimes the Icon in the Wharf are
missing etc. Anyone any Idea?

There are quite a few known bugs in X but what you are hitting may well be a
design feature of X. X does not stop programs from using up all the available
shared colourmap entries. If this happens and you run another program which
wants more colours than are free then you will get a warning message about
there not being enough colours in the colourmap and some of the colours may be
wrong. The only way to cure this is to quit or reconfigure the offending
application.

Cheers

Rob