Subject: Re: Adding more swap space
To: Mark P Hoyle <markho@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/30/1996 11:04:02
On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Mark P Hoyle wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Markus Baeurle wrote:
>
> > In message <Pine.OSF.3.91.961216144327.13743A-100000@platon>
> >           Mark P Hoyle <markho@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Due to a current lack of swap space - I am wanting to add some more.
> > > I have repartitioned by drive wd1 to include a swap partition at
> > > partition b.
> > >
> > > When I try to start using the space, I get the error:
> > > swapon: /dev/wd1b: device not configured
> > >
> > > [this is using both swapon -a (having adjusted /etc/fstab accordingly)
> > > and swapon /dev/wd1b]
> > >
> > > Any help from anyone?
> >
> > Can you access the other partition you created on this drive?
> > We'd first have to narrow down if it's a problem with the disk in general or
> > only with swapping to it...
>
> I can access the other partition on the drive and use it all the time
> (its my /home/local partition) - and so far I have had no luck with using
> the b partition as extra swap space (I really do wish that netscape would
> not bloat X servers).

Bad news I'm afraid... you have to compile a kernel to add a second swap
space partition...

Unfortunatly I've forgottern how to do it, and although I've seen it
writtern down somewhere can't find it. I'm pretty sure you have to alter
the:

config          netbsd  swap generic

line in the kernel configuration file - but to what I don't know - time for
some search engineing i think.

(I think it could be:

config netbsd swap generic swap on wd1b

?)

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?