Subject: Re: Compile prob
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/19/1996 12:10:39
On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Patrick Welche wrote:

> Update on my  compiler problem: (long story)
> I tried to ld any 2 object files and got the same problem, even though
> nm <object file> seemed to give sensible output ie., the object file
> wasn't corrupt => as all the original sources were in Fortran, I
> concatenated them and converted that to c. It may be that in the
> conversion a symbol in one Fortran file didn't get converted into the
> same symbol when it appeared in another Fortran file. Now I am still
> stuck as the resultant c source huge, so I get errors at the assembler
> stage. Unfortunately I don't believe the validity of the error
> messages. Some details are included below and I wonder what to do as I
> think there is ample memory in the machine to achieve the compile
> (all ran without X and just me logged in).

   I get similar problems when compiling c from f2c as those you point out
below (symbol L**** already defined).  These errors usually happen as
swapspace reaches 100% though.  On the other hand, I have 60Meg swap and
24 Meg ram, and on a PC running Linux, the same c source only requires
about 15Meg for as.

   Is the arm as being hugely wasteful? does it really need all of this
space, or has it got a huge memory leak?

Ale.