Subject: RiscBSD Fastboot modifications
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Naulls <pnaulls@wave.co.nz>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/19/1996 21:05:52
I just set up the fast boot yesterday, very nice :)
But a friend of mine quickly pointed out that the PC card could be made
to do something similar, so here are the modifications, so that if
the shift key is held down, the PC card boots.

You will have to change some of the paths of course, and I've added an
extra line in for the fastconf option, whereby Scrap$Dir is set, as I
have a program run in my Desktop file that looks for it.

Do this:

---- cut ----

|Start RiscBSD !Boot 2.87 FastBoot
If <RiscBSD$FastBoot> = 4 THEN Run <BtRiscBSD$Dir>.!RunImage -open
If <RiscBSD$FastBoot> > 0 AND <RiscBSD$FastBoot> < 4 THEN Run <BtRiscBSD$Dir>.fastboot
If "<PC$FastBoot>" = 1 THEN Run <Boot$Dir>.Resources.!System.!Boot
If "<PC$FastBoot>" = 1 THEN Run ADFS::HardDisc5.$.PC.!ARMEdit.ARMEdit
If "<PC$FastBoot>" = 1 THEN Run ADFS::HardDisc5.$.PC.!PC
|End

---- cut ----

To the beginning of !Boot.Choices.Boot.Desktop

and this:

---- cut ----

|Start RiscBSD !Boot 2.87 FastBoot
Run ADFS::RiscBSD.$.!BtRiscBSD.!Boot
Run <BtRiscBSD$Dir>.Booter.TestBoot
If "<RiscBSD$FastBoot>" = "1" THEN Echo RiscBSD FastBoot mode engaged
If "<RiscBSD$FastBoot>" = "2" THEN Echo RiscBSD ConfBoot mode engaged
If "<RiscBSD$FastBoot>" = "3" THEN Echo RiscBSD AutoBoot mode engaged
If "<RiscBSD$FastBoot>" = "4" THEN Echo RiscBSD FastConf mode engaged
If <RiscBSD$FastBoot> > 0 THEN Set Alias$Repeat ||
If <RiscBSD$FastBoot> > 0 THEN Set Alias$Addapp ||
If <RiscBSD$FastBoot> > 0 THEN Run <Boot$ToBeLoaded>.configure
If "<PC$FastBoot>" = "1" THEN Echo PC FastBoot mode engaged
|End

---- cut ----

To the beginning of !Boot.Choices.Boot.Predesktop

And these changes to the end of !BtRiscBSD.Booter.TestBoot:

---- cut ----

IF (INKEY(-2) <> 0) THEN
  *Set RiscBSD$FastBoot 4
ENDIF

IF (INKEY(-1) <> 0) THEN
  *Set PC$FastBoot 1
ENDIF

ON ERROR END

Neato huh? :)

| Peter Naulls                            |  Acorn Risc PC 700  *ARM Powered*  |
| pnaulls@wave.co.nz                      |  Porting Java & Sather for Risc OS |
| http://lucy.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~pnaulls/  |  Co-editor of Acorn archive list   |
| Phone 64-7-856-4562                     |  Computer consultancy              |
| The meaning of life:  3.5               |  Web page design                   |
.. Not genius, glory or love reflects the soul's greatness, it's kindness.