Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New kernels
To: Sergio Monesi <msergio@mbox.vol.it>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/16/1996 14:06:45
>Assuming the new kernel runs, will it be a bit faster on a StrongARM than
>sa110-4740? In fact I feel that the context switch and especially the process
>creation is extremely slow, running an sh script that used some [ ] (ie.
>'test') was so slow to be completely unusable. I have to admit that RiscBSD
>in general use seemed faster on my old ARM610 than on my new StrongARM...

Ok one of the problems with the earlier SA110 kernels was a bug in the pmap
code that meant multiple mappings of a page could be uncached. This bug existed
on the 610 but was not spotted. On the SA110 where the uncached performance is
worse that ARM2 performance this bug became apparent.
The result is that executing multiple copies of a binary simulatenously (inc
forking) could result in various code pages being uncached.

The lastest kernels have a patch for this. The solution is not yet ideal as I
am planning on rewriting pmap over xmas which would fix the problem properly.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk