Subject: RE: Re[2]: dip
To: Alex.McLintock@chadwyck.co.uk <Alex.McLintock@chadwyck.co.uk>
From: Daniel Blueman (5) (CURRICULUM) <5DBLUEMAN@qeliz.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/12/1996 09:33:00
>Any chance of an idiots guide to using the serial port to link two Acorns
>together? (eg RiscPC running RiscBSD and A5000 running !Freenet).
The serial connection lead pinout is quite simple, I can email it in a
drawfile
if you want?
This should enable standard IO to/from it. This can be achieved by
opening
the serial port for input eg. in BASIC:
	fileh%=OPENIN"serial:$"
	REPEAT
	byte%=BGET#fileh%
	.
	.
etc.
The same can be done on the other side, only opening the serial port for
output,
and writing the bytes.

>I have currently gotten a single program to transfer files between the
machines
>under RiscOS so I assume I have the cable right.
Acorn wired cables can be different to PC wired serial cables, so while
the RiscOS
transfer program works, RiscBSD may be expecting standard (PC type)
wiring.
Since you have an A5000, you have a newer controller, so you can use
either cable
safely.

>However I have not been able to get the A5000 to work as a plain serial
terminal
>to my RiscBSD box (after editting /etc/ttys file) nor have I been able
to to set
>up the RiscBSD serial port as a network device. (after much man slattach
and man
>ifconfig).
Unfortunately, I am new to RiscBSD, and hence cannot help you here...

Thanks,
Dan Blueman