Subject: Re: nntp deamon
To: Duncan Ferguson <d.ferguson@worc.ac.uk>
From: Alexander Hayward <alexander.hayward@lady-margaret-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/02/1996 17:19:05
On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
> I am currently trying to set up an internal nntp server to the
> college as a small 'kick up the ass' to get a full and proper news
> server system.
>
> Only thing is i dont know where to find the binaries or even the
> sources to try and compile it myself.  I have looked about, even crawled
> the web a bit, but so far found nothing useful.
>
> To start with i am only going to set up 7 or maybe 8 groups to get a
> general interest in the area, so nothing major.  Any hints or
> pointers to get me off in the right direction, please?

Yes, try and archie search for INN. This is the news server that I run
in order to be able to read articles off-line, along with a hacked
something or other for pulling batches down via an nntpserver (via
dialup).

You should be able to set it up to serve and receive articles without
needing anything else, though.