Subject: Re: UnixFS bug
To: Vincent Lefevre <Vincent.Lefevre@ens-lyon.fr>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/19/1996 12:20:20
> I think there's really a bug in unixfs. Yesterday I copied an ascii file
> from a unix partition to the riscos partition (i.e. the opposite direction
> to as usual) and the file got corrupted (2 characters were altered).

  Yep, I had this a while ago. I was copying a few c source files from
unix to RiscOS, and some of them wouldn't compile. After investigation i
realised that they were being corrupted. ends of lines being left off I
think.  I just copied them over again it it was fine.  This was in my pre
SA days too (i.e. RO 3.5 and arm6. Probably RBSD 1.1 beta although I
can't remember)

  I've never had large binary files corrupt, although I've often had
problems with !sparkplug complaining about corrupted sparkives if I try to
read them straight from the UNIXFS partition. Instead I have to copy them
to an ADFS disk and read them there.

  The reply I got upon querying this with the author was that unixfs was
only meant to be used for copying sets onto a UNIX partition, not as a
general purpose filing system.

  Ale.