Subject: Ether1 problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/16/1996 16:38:08
Hi,
  Ok there have been a number of reports of problems with ether1 podules not
being recognised at boot time.

I believe that this problem has now been solved. The problem is a bug in the
podule probing code. The podulebus device reads the podule header with a slow
access cycle. The podule specs say this should be a sync access cycle. (Sorry,
I missed this when I wrote the probe code).

The slight timing difference between these two access means that the ether1
podule is sometimes missed at probe time. However the machine/motherboard can
make a difference as voyager can read the ether1 header fine ;-)

Fixing the podule probe code has been reported as fixing the problem so I hope
that this is the reason for all the missed detections reported.

A new kernel with the fix will be put online later today.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk