Subject: BSD vs GPL (was Re: ARM Linux)
To: Philip Blundell <pjb27@cam.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/13/1996 00:43:28
>Yes.  The GPL forbids any redistribution that is under a "less free" (in
>the FSF sense) licence.  The BSD licence _is_ less free, and so you cannot
>use GPL'd code.  Conversely, the Linux community can't realistically use
>any large amounts of BSD code, because to be distributed with the kernel
>it would have to adhere to both the BSD and the GP licences, and that's
>difficult to achieve in practice.

I tend to consider BSD licence as 'more free' the BSD licence essentially says
that you can do what you want with and the only condition is that you
acknowledge the authors & copyright and keep the original disclaimer etc.

The GNU licence forces extra conditions that you must make all source available
for anything that you release as binary etc. and that if you combine GNU code
with other code in a packagethe GNU licence must apply to the whole thing

Consider this, a typical BSD license to on average 26 lines of text.
A typical GNU licence ~339 lines.

THe condition of making source available under the GNU licence effectively
stops commercial companies basing product etc. on GNU code and then selling
only binaries versions i.e. they cannot 'take advantage of the nice souls out
there writing free code'
The BSD licence does not have this restriction thus allowing anyone to do just
about anything with BSD licenced code.

Anyway enough on this ...  Isn't it about time you folk got back to moaning
about all the things I have not fixed yet ;-))))

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk