Subject: Re: ARM Linux
To: Amit Gupta <93akg@eng.cam.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/11/1996 20:05:16
>He has shared libraries but only in a.out format, i.e. no
>position-independent code and no ELF.

We could have done this type of shared libraries but we do not consider them a
proper solution and are waiting for position-independant code the way all
NetBSD shared libraries work.

>I was wondering what the possibilities for mutual development between
>RiscBSD and ARM Linux teams were ?
We have talked to Russell about this. However he is pretty firm on all his code
being GPL'd and thus we cannot use it in a NetBSD kernel etc. but he can use
our code in a Linux kernel. This limits the ammount of shared development that
can happen and would produce a flow only one way.

Podule drivers are one large area where information could be shared. However
Russell made it clear that he would not consider releasing any driver source
code under a BSD style license so that we could consider utilising it.

>Another possibility might be a single format for executables, compiled
>with a common version of gcc. This would have obvious advantages when
>compiling and maintaining ports.

As soon as we know more about ARM Linux we can add Linux emulation to the arm32
port. NetBSD already supports lots on emulation modes (including Linux) that
allow Linux binaries to be run under NetBSD. The same can be done for ARM Linux
binaries.

Regarding X currently we are working for two different trees.
RiscBSD using the standard X11R6.1 distribution
Linux (I believe) use the XFree86 distribution

We are in contact with Russell and will let folks know if any progress is made.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk