Subject: Re: 'missing' X resources
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/30/1996 17:43:28
On Oct 30,  3:09pm, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
> Subject: 'missing' X resources
>
> I have now got X almost working on my machine after putting in 3
> symbolic links;
> /usr/X11 ...to... /usr/X11R6.1
> /usr/lib/X11 ...to... /usr/X11/lib/X11
> /usr/include/X11 ...to... /usr/X11R6.1/include/X11

This sounds like you have a problem with your path. These links should not be
there and indeed they can break things. Check that you don't have /usr/X11/bin
in your path.

> Is this installation of X meant to be  different to what the files within the
> installation requires and a few links are missing, or is there a
> problem with the set?
>
> Anyhow, i got X to start booting, but now it dies with a memory fault
> error.  But it seems only when fvwm is run successfully.  Any ideas?
> The whole of my installation is from the 1.2 release, yet i had the
> same problem sometimes on the 1.2-beta release.

There is a known bug: if you use solid window drags in fvwm it will kill the X
server from time to time. This appears to be gcc miscompiling something but I
haven't tracked it down yet (its buried deep in the machine independant code).
One hint - if you want X to remain stable don't switch virtual consoles unless
the X server is completely idle (ie no screen drawing at all going on). Note
that switching console with a clock running can have unpredictable results.

Cheers

Rob