Subject: problem with VM?
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1996 15:48:06
  Hi,

  I've just tried to compile a program. It's rather large and I ran out
of memory (serve me right for trying to use FORTRAN!)

  Anyway, my problem is that the behaviour as it runs out of memory isn't
what I'd expect.

  What actually happens (I'm watching it using top) is that as the amount
of swap used reaches 100%, instead of complaining that it runs out of
swap space, I get error messages from as about incorrect assembler
instructions (They seem corrupted, i.e. ldm r2,sf[we[((  sort of thing)

 If I kill as using top, usually other things ( X, tcsh etc...) die with
segmentation fault type errors.

  I can only assume that as the swapspace gets full, things that try to
use it get their memory trashed?

  Just thought someone might be interrested in this.

Ale.