Subject: Re: Look what I've done now...
To: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
From: David Croft <david@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/24/1996 14:31:58
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Jasper Wallace wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, David Croft wrote:
>
> Did you add an entry in /etc/printcap for your printer? I've had printing
> working with a Canon BJ-10. cat'ing stuff direct to the device worked, but
> trying to use the print queue etc. didn't work - it core dumped. I assumed
> this was a 1.1 problem, I havn't tried since I got 1.2. ATM I don't run lpd.

I've just modified the default, so it now reads:

lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

There seem to be loads more options, but that's getting into the rather
frightening realm of termcap, and I just need to print plain text files.

> Ok. boot to a ramdisc as per intstalling, answer 'n' at the prompt (you
> don't want to install it again) at the prompt mount you disc on, say, /mnt
> and delete/edit away ;-)

Cunning. Ale has mentioned mount -u / which may be simpler, should I ever
get into this situation again!

> > `NetBSD/arm32 (hawk.infotrek.co.uk) (ttyv0)' message? I'd just like
>
> edit /etc/motd - it is partly created at boot time, so you may want to brush
> up on your shell programming skills.

That file seems to be for *after* you login.

--
David Croft
who's just realised he can pipe ls -alR | grep.