Subject: Re: Addicted to RiscBSD (some more questions)
To: David Croft <david@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/23/1996 11:06:26
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, David Croft wrote:

> Speaking of which, is there anyway of turning down the bleep volume? :-)

	I unplugged the speaker after my co-workers thretened to lynch me
;-)

> 2. Compiling Pine. I would assume this is a RiscBSD-specific problem
> as I'm sure others would have noticed it if it wasn't...

[snip]

> Has anybody else tried compiling pine? Do you get this error? Is there
> a fix? Is it something I should report to the pine authors?

Yes
Yes
dunno (only tried yesterday)
possibly - it's more lickley to be a gcc/netbsd thing.

A common problem when compiling things with gcc and limited memory is 'insn
 does not satisfy it's constraints' trying with more memory/less programs
running fixes this. I don't know if it works with this on tho. I was
compiling pine under X. I have yet to try with the machine running as little
as possible.

> 4. What should my csh.login tset to? I'm currently using vt100, which
> works fine for most things, but doesn't allow me to use the cursor keys
> in things like More (which I can do under xterm).

	Looking at the kernal source the console appears to be a vt220,
however it is not a fully working vt220 so it pretends to be a vt100. It is
roken in may ways - ^space dosn't work properly, cursor keys have problems
etc, etc.

> 5. I often get "Possible process deadlock due to shortage of L1 page tables".
> And, indeed, the process I initiated locks. My typical setup is 5
> console logins, 2 of them su'd, 1 run, 2 telnets, X, fvwm, xfm, xconsole, and a
> Nedit sessions. This doesn't seem unreasonable for a 42MB machine, but if
> I go beyond this, I get the aforementioned message. Is this a fixed limit
> or can I increase something?

	Increase the 'max processes' in the bootloader, and run less things!

> 6. I configured a swap partition when I installed, but there is no
> swap partition in /etc/fstab. Do I need to add it, or has it decided
> I have enough memory to not require a swap partition?

	It's done automatticlly, get the xosview set which shows you the
memory and swap usage.

> On a related note, what are all the wd0a-wd0e letters? wd0a is my /
> partition, wd0e is /etc. What are b, c, and d?

	wd = winchester disc, sd = scsi disc, the letters are:

a the / (root) partition
b swap
c the whole disc
d scratch
e /var
f scratch
g ?
h /usr

(from my Risc BSD formatting discs guide -
http://quatermass.ivision.co.uk/RiscBSD/ )

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?