Subject: Re: Ethernet-Interface-Types
To: None <riscbsd@arilinn.trinity.ox.ac.uk>
From: Ben Dooks <ben@fluff.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/13/1996 17:27:52
In message <Marcel-1.08-1014115021-0b0vrZg@arilinn.trinity.ox.ac.uk> you recently scribbled:

> On Sun 13 Oct, Marcus Deubel wrote:
> > Hi folks!
> > I have read so much about ether3/5, etherB, ether1, etherH. But I have
> > never read what exactly the differences are.
> >

> OK, I'll make a start at this. There will probably be some fairly
> glaring errors/ommisions here but...
>
> Ether1: Original Acorn ethernet podule. 10base5 and 10base2 connections.
> Ether2: Acorn 10base2 podule

AUI is available on the Ether2 card... I know, I have one. ;-)

> Ether3: 10base2/10baseT podule. I believe that there are several varients
>         of this card.

Obviulsy... the Ether3s I've seen are all 10base2 with no AUI (but the option
to have AUI installed...). They are very nice cards

> EtherB: ANT RiscPC netcard slot thingy. 10baseT connector.
> EtherH: I-cubed's RiscPC netcard slot thingy. 10baseT and 10base2
> EtherM: ANT's latest. 10baseT and 10base2
>
> 10base5 is `thick wire' ethernet
> 10base2 is `thin wire' ethernet, which uses coax cable
> 10baseT is twisted pair.

And I can't rember what AUI stands for...

--
Ben Dooks, ben@doggysoft.co.uk |    We'll take our hearts outside. Leave
http://www.fluff.demon.co.uk/  | our lives behind, and watch the stars go out.