Subject: Re: DIP sticks.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/06/1996 03:08:36
Hi!

In message <5309@infotrek.demon.co.uk>
          david@infotrek.demon.co.uk (David Croft) wrote:

> Oct 4 00:58:10 hawk /netbsd: com0: 1 silo overflow, 818 ibuf overflows.
>
> At a guess, I need to increase my serial buffers. How do I do this? (This
> may be the reason why my ftp is going so slowly).

Ah, so you also get them at the hundred.
Mark is aware of this but he said there were not as many ibuf overflows on his
machine as you and I are experiencing.

> Finally, are there are decent text editors for the 1.2 beta. Please don't
> start a holy editor war - I'll try anything. I was wondering whether

I got used to jmacs. There's one binary and depending on the name it's called
with (joe, jmacs or jstar) it uses a different config file and acts as an
Emacs, Wordstar or ? compatible editor (wrt to the key combinations and such).
This works on the terminal (or naturally in an xterm) and is not bad once you
got used to the key combinations. It's suffering from the buggy terminal
emulation, though.

aXe is running under X, but I don't find it particularly good. Then there was
another X editor showing up recently on the ftp site, don't remember which one
though. I think it was nedit.

Unfortunatedly, there's no aquivalentt for StrongED under X.

> the 1.1 version of emacs would work? Something that runs under X would be

This will probably work, yes. It needs an awful lot of space, though. This can
certainly be stripped down but you have to know what you can delete and what
not.

> nice too. (Really, I just want a replacement for Zap!).

Bah, Zap. StrongED rules. ;-) (And please don't start to discuss this.
Everybody may use what he prefers.)

> Hope you can help. My thanks to all who have made RiscBSD possible.
> (although people are still shouting "Get Linux, you idiot" at me!).

Forget them. I think they're suggesting you buy an Intel box, then ask them
whether they would like if there was only a single manufacturer of cars in the
world. Tell them that if you were after a mainstream system (because Linux
people often argue that there was a larger userbase and more software) you
might as well get a really mainstream system and get Win95.
I also know somebody who said to an Atari user "Now that Linux for Atari is
available you could have a look at that." Argh, idiot. NetBSD/atari has
been available much longer and you'll have to recompile all the programs
anyway, so one might just as well use NetBSD.
Linux wins hands down when it comes to friendliness in installation and the
availability of documentation, but we can improve this for NetBSD too.

Markus