Subject: Re: Cumana SCSI II card
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/04/1996 21:24:46
Hi,
  The original cumana NDA was signed by the RiscBSD kernel team.

Signing the original NDA was not something we were particularly
happy about having to do. The only reason we did is that the
card is so popular we need to have some support. In the early
RiscPC days it was understandable that people wanted to
protect their development.
However now the technology is much older and there are a large
number of similar cards now available so I don't
see why a NDA is still required.

>From my point of view I am not prepared to put a lot of work
into drivers whose information is available under NDA when
where are plenty of other companies (for example other
SCSI II manufacturers) who are prepared to give us the info
and let us make freely available drivers.

Also NDA based drivers require regular releases of compiled versions
of the modules are will not be available as part of a standard source
tree or build.

Cheers,
				Mark
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk
Research Associate			http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/
Department of Physics			tel: 0171 873 2894
King's College London			fax: 0171 873 2716