Subject: Re: Installing 1.2-beta
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/25/1996 17:29:15
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:30:02 GMT
> From: david@infotrek.demon.co.uk (David Croft)
>
> I've just got a 3.2 Gig Quantum Fireball, of which about 500Mb is allocated
> to RiscBSD. I'm trying to perform a fresh installation of 1.2-beta. I've
> got as far as step 23 in the instructions; I've rebooted without the RAM disk.

I assume this an IDE drive.

> However, when I run /usr/local/sbin/inst, I get the message:
>
> : whoami: not found
> : inst should be run as root
>
> which is interesting - I'm in single-user mode. Any idea what I'm doing
> wrong here?

The whoami program is not installed in the boot file system.

You should create a dummy script that is called whoami and is in the
path of the program and let that script echo root.

> If it's relevant, I have 40MB RAM + 2MB VRAM. Booting in 640x480 256 colours.
> Using kernel BSD-4634-64MB with BtRiscBSD version 2.80.
>
> Three other problems:
>
> 1. Clicking on BOOT gives "Current kernels only support 8 bpp for booting",
> although the BtRiscBSD Screen mode reads "X1024 Y768 C256 F70". Changing
> the screen mode using the Display Manager lets it boot, but:
>
>    - at 1024x768 the screen is a mass of moving lines (illegible)

Probably your monitor is not able to cope with the RiscBSD resolution.

>    - at 800x600 the characters are there but are malformed (slightly better)
>    - at 640x480 everything is fine, but the screen is a bit small :-(

I don't know about these two.

> I don't think I had this problem with 1.1 (but it has been a long long time
> since I used it).
>
> 2. unixfs gives "5 Error reading file system". I have two IDE disks;
> RiscBSD partition is the second bit on drive 4. The command
> "UnixFS_Mount 40261" gives this error. (as does 40260; 40262 gives "Error -
> Invalid filesystem superblock or unknown superblock format").
>
> Is this because I haven't yet finished installing? I was trying to get
> it to work so I can copy the sets over directly from RISC OS.

The partition you are going to mount using unixfs must be completely
within the first 512 MB on RISC OS 3 v. 3.5 and within 2GB with v. 3.6.

> 3. Something that I think should be made clearer in the documentation -
> that wd0 is drive 4 and wd1 is drive 5. I was close to losing my second
> hard disc before I realised that the example given was for drive 5!

I will make a note of that for the new installation manual.

> Anyway, I hope someone can help me with these problems.

I hope this will help you.

I would like to give you a pice of advice before you go any further.

Install the config set as the first thing you do and use
/usr/local/sbin/rcm for all your configuration and installation.

It is a great improvement.

Kjetil B. Thomassen