Subject: Re: Cumana SCSI, installing 1.2 beta
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/05/1996 11:47:05
> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:11:31 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Frank Lyonnet <Frank.Lyonnet@sophia.inria.fr>
>
> I've downloaded the 1.2 beta and I'm trying to install
> it on my 2 gig scsi disks connected to a Cumana scsi 2 (32 bits) card.
> I would like to keep 1 gig for ROS and 1 gig for RBSD. My problem
> is : how can I get the cylinder (start - stop) infos for the
> partitions I have currently on my drive ( 2 1 Gig ROS parts ) ?

You use the program bb_riscbsd. This will figure out the size of
the current RISC OS partition and let you specify a RiscBSD partition
after that.

The fact is that you *have* to use this program since otherwise
you will be unable to create the new filesystem.

> If I get those infos and overwrite the 2nd ROS part with a RBSD one,
> will I encounter troubles ?

No, you shouldn't get into trouble because the bb_riscbsd program
will update the partition table.

I have never tried to install RiscBSD to a disk with two RISC OS
partitions, but I believe it should work.

One problem you may run into is the same as I did run into.
RISC OS is probably using a different logical structure than
the physical one, and RiscBSD uses the physical one.

You will therefore have to calculate the figures that bb_riscbsd
gives you into physical ones. If they do not match on cylinders,
then just choose the next physical that is not in collision with
the logical one. I did that, and it works fine.

You should also be aware of the fact that the driver for the
cumana card will not use the internal terminator, nor the RISC OS
configuration settings. Also the cumana driver has very poor
performance at the moment since it is polling and not interrupt
driven.

Also, if you have more than 32 MB you should use kernel 4197
to install it since all other 1.2 kernels have problems with
this. They just panic when trying to load the ram disk.

You should definitely install the config set before doing any
configuration, and the use the /usr/local/sbin/rcm for configuration
and installation.

The installation guide is pretty ok as it is, but the points
above needs to be taken into account.

Kjetil B.