Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New 1.2-beta sets
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1996 02:44:02
I suppose I should answer this since I have a lot of experience
with this.

> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:24:55 +0100 (BST)
> From: "D.P.I. Pierce-Price" <dpip100@HERMES.CAM.AC.UK>
>
> On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
>
> >   Ok I have put a few more 1.2-beta sets online ..
>
> Is it possible yet to do a new installation of 1.2 (I used to have 1.1 but
> deleted it)?

Yes, it is possible.

I have had problems on my own Risc PC, but that is probably due to
the fact that I am using 32 MB SIMMs.

> Also, if I download the sets now, will it all have been changed by the
> time the final 1.2 comes out, or will I be able to install the new sets
> over the old ones?

I cannot answer with authority on this one, but I think/hope that this
should be possible.

> Oh, and if 1.2 -can- be installed from scratch, is there a definitive
> guide to doing it with a POwertec card and a drive which is partitioned
> between BSD & RISC OS? I've seen various helpful suggestions on this
> mailing list, but would like to double check before accidentally wiping
> the RISC OS partition!

There is no guide yet, but I can give you some hints.

You should have the RISC OS partition first and the RiscBSD last.
The RISC OS partiton needs to be more than 10 MB.

You should follow the installation guide, but answer with SCSI
instead of ADFS/IDE.

If you end up in a situation where the drive mapping is not physical
in RISC OS, you should specify to the installation program a cylinder
or block that is beyond the RISC OS partition. It does not matter
if you hit the exact same block, but you must start RiscBSD beyond
the FileCore partition.

In other words, if bb_riscbsd gives you a figure that does not
fit with the physical layout of the disk, you will have to
calculate the number of blocks for the RISC OS partition, and then
use one or more blocks beyond that for RiscBSD.

If you can, you should start on a physical cylinder boundary.

Also, if you intend to boot native or use unixfs, the root
file system must lie completely within the 512 MB limit on
a RISC OS 3 v. 3.5 computer. If you have v. 3.6, then forget
this comment.

If you get a panic when loading the ram disk, then try an older
kernel and try again.

I can't come up with any other hints right now, but you could parse
through the mail archive for this list and read my emails. I have
tried to report everything I have come up with.

Kjetil B.