Subject: Re: pppd?
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@MPC-DATA.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/29/1996 17:38:23
On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Scott Stevens wrote:

> Neil Hoggarth writes:
>  > Does anyone have any experience of using pppd with RiscBSD?
>  >
>  > I've had a go at setting it up, but I've run into problems. The
>  > modem dials correctly but it appears that the PPP negotiation phase
>  > doesn't complete. A typical set of syslog entries from an attempt
>  > to connect looks like this:
>  >
[snip]

> Bingo. Just as I had. I checked a little deeper and the select on the
> serial port fd always times out. ie no packets are ever processed. I'm
> afraid I had to return the modem I'd borrowed today and so can't delve
> deeper... but I would be interested to know if anyone's got it
> working.

>  > Regards,
>  >
>  > Neil Hoggarth, <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
>
> Cheers Scott

I have also been trying to use pppd. I have discovered that with the kernel
bsd-4444 the ppp packets are not being transmitted on the serial port.
With the atapi-4338 kernel pppd works correctly at 2400bps and 19200bps
but not at 9600bps. At 9600bps with this kernel data is transmitted but
no valid ppp packets are transmitted.

I guess this means that there is some problem with the newer kernel.

Mike