Subject: Re: NFS/NIS Probs
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/23/1996 17:42:50
Hi Rob!

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.960820231137.151B-100000@hydra.shs.net> you wrote:

> I have a 486 running Linux with it configured as a NFS server and YP
> server. My aim is to get RiscBSD mounting home directories from the
> Linux server, and using YP NIS id's to login to those directories. The
> first stumbling block is in the mounting of drives from the Linux server.

That's what we're doing at the FH. Accounting and home directories are on a HP,
Linux and FreeBSD systems act as clients.

I don't know about the mounting problem.
I'm not sure if you don't have to specify the type, ie.
mount -t nfs hydra:/ /u/hydra

> Secondly, under linux, it tells you to append +:*:0:0::: to /etc/passwd
> and +:*:0: to /etc/group to make your NIS accounts available on the
> client. When I tried adding similar lines in RiscBSD using vipw I get:
>
> vipw: rebuilding the database...
> pwd_mkdb: line too long
> pwd_mkdb: /etc/pw.000152: Inappropriate file type of format
>
> Any ideas what I should add to passwd and group under RiscBSD ?
> I have /etc/defaultdomain setup, and ypbind is loading OK in the boot-up
> sequence.

OK on the FreeBSD boxes I use a simple
+: for /etc/group
and
+::::::::: for /etc/master.passwd (ie in vipw).
I think the system changes /etc/passwd itself when you leave vipw (or when
building with 'pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd').
I'm quite sure the format is the same for NetBSD.
Btw, you might have to be careful about the encryption of the passwords. It
didn't work on a FreeBSD box where the DES libraries were not installed because
the HP uses DES for encrypting the passwords. I don't know exactly what Linux
uses.

Hope this helps a bit,