Subject: Re: RiscBSD with type 0 (15 kHz) monitor?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/21/1996 15:57:19
On Aug 21,  1:29pm, Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen wrote:
> Subject: RiscBSD with type 0 (15 kHz) monitor?
> I am at present using my Risc PC with a type 0 (15 kHz) monitor.
>
> I tried to boot RiscBSD from a 768x288x256 mode, but
> it does not use the CMOS settings for the monitor type.
>
> At first I tried from a 16 colour mode, but BtRiscBSD told
> me I needed an 8 bpp mode, so I switched to 256 colours.
>
> So, when RiscBSD booted it only gave me a messy unsynchronized
> picture.
>
> How can I configure RiscBSD to use this type of monitor
> using such a monitor? Is it at all possible?

It is possible, but the boot sequence will be a mess unless you compile a
custom kernel. Basically you need a monitor definition file which should be
used in conjunction with mondef/setdisplay/setvideo (it keeps getting renamed).
Type the command by itself to get a usage line. This needs to be added to your
boot sequence (probably in rc.local). This will make everything okay, once you
reach multiuser state. To make the boot sequence work properly you need to
define some suitable modes in your kernel configuration file and rebuild the
kernel. I assure you that this is possible because I did it for a very brief
period about a year ago (no I don't still have the kernel config). X is not
much fun because it assumes that you have a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.

Cheers

Rob