Subject: Re: 1.2 beta boot floppy problems, more info
To: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@DURHAM.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/19/1996 17:30:40
> I reported that I was unable to install RiscBSD on my Risc PC
> with the boot floppy for the 1.2 beta version.
>
> The problem was that RiscBSD panic'ed when it tried to load
> the RAM disk.
>
> I have now tried the same floppy on an older Risc PC 600
> with less RAM (8/60ns and 8/70ns).
>
> On that Risc PC I had absolutely no problems.

  A while ago (Maybe 6 months or so) I decided to rearrange my partitions.
I then found out that not all of the kernels in the kernels
subdirectory seemed able to read the root floppy in to the ramdisk (I got
the same error you describe). In the end I had to go back to the first
Alpha2 kernel to get it working, then once I had my filesystems up and
running I rebooted with the latest kernel.

  Maybe you should try downloading a variety pack of kernels and seeing
if you can't find one that (Just for the initial setting up of your drives)

Ale.

P.s. I wouldn't have thought your RAM config was all that uncommon.