Subject: Re: SCSI vs IDE for RiscBSD
To: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
From: Nuts <ee93mmt@BRUNEL.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/13/1996 21:16:17

> On Aug 13,  5:01pm, Neil Hoggarth wrote:
> > Subject: Re: SCSI vs IDE for RiscBSD
> > On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Stuart Bell wrote:
> >
> > > The problem with IDE drives on the Risc PC isn't the speed that they can
> > > deliver, nor the speed of the RPC bus, but, of course, the speed of the
> > > on-board IDE interface. The Yellowstone RapIDE i/face is now 140ukp inc
> VAT,
> > > but is it supported by RiscBSD?
> >
> > The FAQ says that it isn't, and that it isn't likely to be in the near
> > future as (i) they will not lend one to the kernal team and (ii)
> > technical details on how to drive it are only available at a price,
> > and possibly only under the terms of a non-disclosure agreement (which
> > would complicate things by precluding the release of the source code
> > to any driver which the kernel team write for it).
>
> Oops, that is way out of date. There is a card supposed to be on its way to
> Mark with some documentation (which was the main sticking point). I don't know
> what the NDA situation is but at least we'll be able to release object files...
>
> Mark: Whats the latest news?

I have a RapIDE at the office and I was gonna do the RapIDE driver last
weekend, but I didn't have a source tree to hand so I couldn't.  IMHO
there isn't much an NDA would tell us, that we dont already know / can
find out since IDE seems to be noddyishly simple.

On a similar subject, I plan to build a shit kicking IDE/SCSI combo card
in the not to distant future which of course will have RiscBSD drivers
as standard.

Melvin Tang-Richardson: ee93mmt@brunel.ac.uk - RiscBSD UNIX for the RiscPC
           "A lot of us choose to resist temptation and suffer in silence."