Subject: Re: oddities
To: Rogier Carper <carper@dialis.xs4all.nl>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1996 17:50:56
>This is very odd. The CDROM is detected and can be used in the system, but
>what does atapi_exec_cmd failed mean. And what is phase 1?
>
>BTW: When I try 'devices' in the kshell, the atapibus and the acd0 are marked
>'NOT FOUND'.
>
>The CDROM I use is a Philips PCA52CR (5 speed ATAPI CDROM).

Ok that means that for the moment you cannot use your ATAPI CDROM drive.
Note: The ATAPI driver is ALPHA state and was written for NetBSD/i386. I have
ported it top NetBSD/arm32. Also note that atm this code has is not an offical
part of NetBSD as it has not been merged into the NetBSD source tree.
This means that bugs are expected....

I have a new version of the ATAPI code that I will merge into the kernel when I
have a moment. This may fix your problem.

>And I have received some clarifying information from I-Cubed. The
>specification from Acorn which I qouted here some time ago is faulty.
>According to I-Cubed, the MAC-address needs to be deducted from the Network
>card's ROMimage.

I am talking to I-cubed about this.

>The base address of Acorn can't be 00:00:a4:10. I assume they are mistaken by
>2 zero's. So the address would come out like: 00:a4:10:xx:xx:xx where the
>xx's are the last 24 bits of your machine ID.

I am currently waiting for clarification from ART on this address.

>Anyway. This method of obtaining a MAC address is very dodgy. According to
>IEEE the MAC address is something belonging to a network card, not to a
>machine.

The reason that the Acorn address is used is that that was the only address
that
I knew how to generate and would not clash with another network slot card.
Note: Although this is a Acorn address ANT use it for their EtherB cards which
going by the above comment is wrong.

Cheers,
					Mark

--