Subject: X11 on no-VRAM machine
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/11/1996 12:04:21
Hi folks,

now that I'm again able to boot RiscBSD on my VRAM-less machine I wanted
to start X11. But after logging in and starting X11 with "startx" (worked
OK when the machine still had VRAM) the following happens:

- disk activity starts.
- machine switches to a white empty screen.
- sporadic disk activity continues for a few seconds.
- disk activity stops ...

When I switch back to the console (ALT-F1) I find myself at the db>
prompt. Above the prompt I find the following messages from the X server:

   Initial console: 0
   RiscBSD X Server #18
   mmap(0, 75300, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0)
   InitInput() not finished: No such file or directory
   About to mieqInit()

Which file is the X server supposed to find?

Another point: In the announce of the X server 18A (May 16th) Mark wrote:
> This is the first X server to combine both 1bpp and 8bpp in the one binary.
> Use setdisplay to set the bpp of vidcvideo0 prior to starting the Xserver.

In which set is setdisplay supposed to be? I have setvideo and mondef on
my machine but no setdisplay.

My maschine: 24MB RAM, no VRAM, kernel 4444, base sets are 1.1, X11
upgrade is installed, X server #18.

Regards,
   Stefan

--