Subject: Re: Compiling a new kernel?!
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/02/1996 18:10:10
>Could someone remind me which way around it is - I can't remember what
>was said about the strtod() bug fix, but it had to do with different
>`endianness'.

RiscBSD is little endian.

The strtod bug was to do with the floating point endian.

The FP byte order is little endian but for doubles and extended prec
the FP word order is big endian.

The strtod code was assuming that the byte endian was the same as the word
endian etc.

I am not sure why the word endian is different. One answer I heard is that that
originated from the 1st FP podules (FPPC) for the A300's and the FPU that was
used.

Cheers,
				Mark

--