Subject: Re: Compiling a new kernel?!
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@IC.AC.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/02/1996 11:11:59
On Aug 1, 10:09am, Patrick Welche wrote:
> Subject: Re: Compiling a new kernel?!
> Markus wrote:
> > I really don't know if you could compile this into a NetBSD/arm32 kernel
> > and if this would work. There would probably be problems because of the
> > 68xxx being big endian and the ARM family being little endian (or vice
> > versa).
>
> Could someone remind me which way around it is - I can't remember what
> was said about the strtod() bug fix, but it had to do with different
> `endianness'.

Well, if I remember correctly (last time I needed the info was fixing the
strtod() bug) the situation is as follows:

The ARM is switchable endianness, the NetBSD/arm32 is fixed at:

Integer: little-endian
FP: middle-endian (IIRC strtod() was configured for big-endian but it was a
long time ago so I may have swapped things round in my mind... check the data
sheets to be sure)

Cheers

Rob