Subject: Re: auto-start-files
To: Jan-Uwe Finck <root@schumi.studfb.unibw-muenchen.de>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/26/1996 16:14:56
>Where can files be started automatically in the bootup ?

/etc/rc.local

>I wanted to start Samba..and writing the line into .cshrc is not very
>proper..

When starting multiuser mode init will run /etc/rc
This does things like disk checks running /etc/netstart and running
various daemons, clearing /tmp ...

As a last act it runs /etc/rc.local to start local daemons etc.

Anything you want to start such as samba etc should go in here.
Typically for running daemons you should check that the binary is executable
and
then run it and echo info to the consoles. This should be placed after the line
echo -n 'starting local daemons:'
in /etc/rc.local

if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/sshd ]; then
	echo -n ' sshd';       /usr/local/sbin/sshd
fi

Cheers,
				Mark

--