Subject: Re: bootloader-probs solved..
To: None <jan-uwe.finck@KOMMSRV.RZ.UNIBW-MUENCHEN.DE>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/22/1996 13:17:11
>Why is the login so bizarr ???
whts strange about them ? are you running 1.1 or the 1.2 stuff ?

>And why do I get eh0-timeouts although I copied the new kernel into
>/netbsd and did a kvm_mkdb /netbsd ????

ok cannot remember how the watchdog timer is used on the etherH driver. I would
guess that the watchdog timer is being set when starting some activity that
could fail and if the watchdog timer reaches zero you get the error. I'll look
at the etherH driver later to determine the exacxt circumstances.

The ea/eb driversreset the watchdog timer when they receive a packet. If the
watchdog timer reaches zero they report a timeout and reset the interface.
The reason for this is that if packets have been received and then nothing is
received for 60 secs (by default) then the interface may have jammed and need
resetting. The side effect is that if you are on a network of say just 2
machines it could be possible to go for long periods without network traffic
and thus get some time outs. The timeout period is configurable when a kernel
is compiled.
Assuming that the EtherH is doing a similar thing then it could be explained if
you are not on an active network.

Cheers,
				Mark

--