Subject: Re: FP performance
To: Amit Gupta <93akg@ENG.CAM.AC.UK>
From: Neil A Carson <neil@IVISION.CO.UK>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/03/1996 11:35:55
On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Amit Gupta wrote:

> On the subject of floating-point, I believe Neil mentioned recently that
> a hardware FP solution was being developed by a third-party. Is it
> possible to say more about this, please ? What form will it take ? Would
> such a solution work under RiscBSD ?

Nope, can't say any more. It'll work under RiscBSD in exactly the same way
the current FPE does (ie no source available, distributed in object-only
form, basically it'll be similar to the RiscOS support code for the same
bit of hardware), Mark and myself intend to integrate support for it (we
were in fact discussing how to do this the other evening on the phone) as
soon as we get our hands on the hardware.

It will work with all ARMs (ARM2-StrongARM) and will be available within
the next couple of months I should think. Projected performance is about
80% of an FPA11 machine.

    Yours Aye,

    Neil

* Neil A Carson