Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD/arm26 from a hard drive
To: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/13/2001 16:10:25
On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Ian Fry wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 03:01:28PM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
>
> > > Then I tried using 'nm' to find other things to trim - the biggest being
> > > 'tcp_debug' (see netinet/tcp_debug.{c,h}). By default, there is a 100
> > > element array of structures (presumably used to aim TCP debugging), so I
> > > added 'options TCP_NDEBUG=n' for a few values of 'n' to my config, and
> > > rebuilt the kernel again. Same result - VM shortage.
> > Ooh.  I should add that to FOURMEG.
>
> There may be a few more things like this that could be tuned, but tcp_debug
> was the biggest culprit by far. I wonder if the tcp_debug stuff could be
> optioned out altogether, including any code that is used?

	tcp_debug.c seems to have two features - one is to log packets in
	the TCP_NDEBUG sized array, the other if TCPDEBUG is set is to
	log console diagnostics on various tcp activities.

	I strongly believe they should both be conditional, maybe leave
	the logging on by default, but make it an explicit option in
	the kernel config to make it easier for people to turn it off.

	More on tech-net :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --