Subject: Re: R140, now booting over the net
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/17/2000 23:50:21
[ I'm assuming that your failing to Cc port-arm26 was a mistake (mine
  certainly was). ]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> On Sun 17 Dec, Ben Harris wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
> >
> > > Kernel sources updated yesterday, and new kernel made, now I get a bit
> > > further, but it panics:
> > >
> > > NetBSD 1.5N (R140) #7 ...
> > > Avail 1920 KB
> > > panic: m_copym0 overrun
> > > Stopped in nfsio at cpu_Debugger+0x10 bl kbd_trap
> >
> > Yeah, my A540's doing that too.  It usually manages to get a bit further
> > than yours though.  I currently have no idea why it's happening.
>
> OK, then this is something that can be traced further, and again is
> proof that my box is not much different from the rest.
>
> How much memory do you have in that A540?

Eight megabytes.

> > Unfortunately, I can't really help you with the VM system, since I don't
> > understand most of it.
>
> Then this may be something for tech-kern?

Maybe.  Are you still getting that problem (system hanging after starting
init) though?

> I'll file it. Is there any way I can dump the kernel or anything back to
> my ss2 so that I don't have to type everything, and maybe can do a
> ktrace (or something) on the kernel dump?

Well, you can get the contents of the kernel message buffer using the
BASIC "dmesg" program in the same directory as stationset.  The debugger
output isn't included though, so that'll need retyping.  Kernel core dumps
aren't supported yet, and I think they need a (supported) local disc
anyway.

> > > Any progress on finding the basic program to replace SetStation?
> >
> > I just plugged the hard disc from my A3000 into my 540, and I've got a
> > copy of stationset, along with a few other toys I'd left behind.
> >
> > <URL:ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm26/riscos/stationset,ffb>
>
> Good, now my station is booting NetBSD from my ss2 without any
> interaction. Although, it is very slow compared to booting over ShareFS
> from my Risc PC.

Hmm.  It may be worth playing with the (currently very crude) retry
algorithm in aund.c:aun_xmit.  I seem to remember that setting it to just
retry much more frequently improved performance quite a lot with my
Ether3s.  Reducing AUN_MAX_BLOCK in aun.h also helped, since my Ether3s
seemed to have problems with receiving several packets in rapid
succession.

> I'll write up some documentation, and then I will put the code and all
> up on my W3 pages for people to pick up and use. I doubt that I will be
> able to do that before Christmas, though, but it will be done.

That would be helpful, thanks.