Subject: Re: aund release and setup
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/11/2000 13:27:55
On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> On Sun 10 Dec, Ben Harris wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, my ST-506 drive has died, so I am now booting over sharefs. It
> > > would be handy if I could get your AUN stuff running on my ss2.
> >
> > Since I was getting fed up with shuttling floppies between my machines,
> > I've taken an old version of aund I had lying around on chiark, cleaned it
> > up enough to make it boot my A3020 and shoved the results on
> > ftp.netbsd.org.  You'll find it in <URL:ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/
> > arch/arm26/aun-0.01.tar.gz>.
>
> The documentation is very lacking,

Sorry.  Feel free to write some.

> and there is also a bug in there.
> The gethostname function call assumes that the hostname is set to be
> less than 17 characters, but in a lot of cases, the hostname includes
> the full domain name. At least that was the case on my NetBSD/sparc.

I have a feeling there's a restriction on the length of disc name the
Econet fileserver protocol will allow.  I should probably truncate the
name at the first '.' or something.

> I also got an error message:
> aund: conf_read_file: No such file or directory
>
> This was resolved by cding to the aund directory and starting it there.
> It did not help to copy the aund.conf file to the same directory as the
> aund program.

Yes, it should probably load /etc/aund.conf rather than ./aund.conf.  This
is what comes of my running it as myself usually.  Incidentally, it'd be a
very bad idea to run aund as root.  Running it on an Internet-connected
machine at all is hazardous.

> Also the ifconfig command does not seem to be explained either, and it
> would be good to know exactly what it is supposed to do and how I should
> modify it to work on my system. Should I use:
> ifconfig le0 alias 1.0.128.12
> (le0 is the Ethernet driver in use on the ss2.)

The point is that you need to have an address that the client will believe
is on the same network as it.  By default (if they don't receive a RARP
response) AUN clients chose an IP address of 1.0.128.xxx, where xxx is the
machine's Econet station number.  Thus, you need to give your server a
similar address.  Probably 1.0.128.254 is sensible given the default
fileserver address.

> Would it be possible for you to include the SetStation utility in the
> distribution or is this something that is not permitted by Acorn/whoever
> owns the Level 4 fileserver software nowadays?

I believe it's not allowed.  I certainly don't have a copy.  I do have
(somewhere) a BASIC program which does the same thing as SetStation,
though.  I'll see if I can find it.

> The last thing I think would be good to know is which station number I
> should set. Is there a requirement there other than what is recommended
> in the PRM (2-254)?

That's all.  I usually use the last octet of the machine's normal IP
address.

> Do I need to have a network number other than 0?

In the absence of a gateway, AUN will default to 128 (hence the 128 in the
IP address).

> Is the fileserver set up with station number 254 as usual?

Up to you.  If not, you'll need to use *Configure FS to specify which
fileserver to use.  I'd recommend doing it by name.

> The last thing, of course, is how should I set up the !ArmBoot directory
> and the root directory for the AUN boot?

Don't make it a directory, make it an Obey file which runs BBBB.

> Maybe you could include your sample setup in the tarchive?

Probably in the next version, yes.