Subject: Re: aund release and setup
To: None <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/10/2000 17:46:13
On Sun 10 Dec, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
>
> > BTW, my ST-506 drive has died, so I am now booting over sharefs. It
> > would be handy if I could get your AUN stuff running on my ss2.
>
> Since I was getting fed up with shuttling floppies between my machines,
> I've taken an old version of aund I had lying around on chiark, cleaned it
> up enough to make it boot my A3020 and shoved the results on
> ftp.netbsd.org.  You'll find it in <URL:ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/
> arch/arm26/aun-0.01.tar.gz>.

The documentation is very lacking, and there is also a bug in there.
The gethostname function call assumes that the hostname is set to be
less than 17 characters, but in a lot of cases, the hostname includes
the full domain name. At least that was the case on my NetBSD/sparc.

I also got an error message:
aund: conf_read_file: No such file or directory

This was resolved by cding to the aund directory and starting it there.
It did not help to copy the aund.conf file to the same directory as the
aund program.

But, it compiled and is now running on my ss2.

Also the ifconfig command does not seem to be explained either, and it
would be good to know exactly what it is supposed to do and how I should
modify it to work on my system. Should I use:
ifconfig le0 alias 1.0.128.12
(le0 is the Ethernet driver in use on the ss2.)

The only problem I have is that I don't have a Level 4 distribution, and
thereby I don't have the SetStation utility. This again means it is
impossible for me to set up the station number on my R140, and will not
be able to boot over the network.

Would it be possible for you to include the SetStation utility in the
distribution or is this something that is not permitted by Acorn/whoever
owns the Level 4 fileserver software nowadays?

The last thing I think would be good to know is which station number I
should set. Is there a requirement there other than what is recommended
in the PRM (2-254)?
Do I need to have a network number other than 0?
Is the fileserver set up with station number 254 as usual?

The last thing, of course, is how should I set up the !ArmBoot directory
and the root directory for the AUN boot?
There are some hints in the PRM, but as this probably should run the
bbbb program with the kernel as argument, maybe there are other things
that need to be set up for this to work.

Maybe you could include your sample setup in the tarchive?

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/