Subject: Re: R140, now mounting root over NFS
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/09/2000 20:18:44
On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> I made myself a test kernel were I added DDB and strip out some of the
> things I didn't think I needed. The config file has been attached to
> this email.
>
> The last stuff before it hang is:
> root file system type: nfs
> init: copying out path '/sbin/init' 11
>
> I broke into DDB with CTRL-ALT-Esc

Is it possible for you to try typing "x/i 0,8" at DDB here?  This will
dump the exception vectors, and on my system, I find that the vector at
0x8 (the SWI vector) has been corrupted to "andeq r0,r0,r0" (ie all
zeroes).  It looks like something in the kernel is writing through a NULL
pointer.  That'll be fun to debug.

> Is there anything I can do to try to trace this further?

Well, you could work out where the kernel's trying to dereference a NULL
pointer and stop it doing that.  Not an easy task, I'm afraid.