Subject: Re: Netbooting fails on R140 (fwd)
To: None <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 12/01/2000 08:41:52
On Thu 30 Nov, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
>
> > I decided to try to compile my own kernel on my SPARCstation
> > 2 running NetBSD/sparc, and this worked, but the kernel I made did not
> > get very far. Now I am building a new FOURMEG kernel to see if that
> > works.
> >
> > The sources I am building from are from yesterday, so this will also be
> > a test of whether Ben's patches to the PCF8583 probing works on my R140.
>
> Be careful: the UBC integration broke things rather.  You'll need
> sys/arch/arm26/include/vmparam.h to be at least revision 1.2 to get beyond
> the copyright notice.
>
> > nfs_boot: gateway=192.168.169.168
> > root on 192.168.169.180:/home/export/r140
> > panic: Reset handler called. Branch through zero?
> > system halted
> >
> > Any ideas why?
>
> I don't know.  I don't think I've ever seen that panic happen before.
>
> Do you know if it's started init by then?  If you haven't got DDB built in
> to the kernel, build it in, then you'll get dropped into it at startup and
> can type "t" to get a stack backtrace (and "ps" to get a process listing).
> I think it should correctly trace back through the trap.

I checked out the sources of 5 Oct and built a kernel from that and
booted that over sharefs. I included ddb in the kernel config, and now
I can answer the questions above. Yes, init is running, and the stack
backtrace is:
start
main
vfs_mountroot
nfs_mountroot
inittodr
panic

I've got the following 5 processes running:
PID    program   wait
 1      init     initexe
 2      nfsio    nfsidl
 3      nfsio    nfsidl
 4      nfsio    nfsidl
 5      nfsio    nfsidl

I hope this helps you.

A new kernel is building from todays sources.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/