Subject: Re: Two IDE disks?
To: der Mouse <mouse@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <richard.earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/20/2007 11:49:43
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 04:06 -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> Can a shark support two disks on the IDE connector (master and slave)?
> I'm asking about both hardware and NetBSD/shark, in case it matters.
> (Obviously, there would be mounting and power issues that would need
> attention; I'm prepared to deal with those, mostly by running the IDE
> cable outside the shark's case.)

I've never tried it, but I see no obvious reason why not unless there's
a buffer-strength issue on the lines.  All the pins are there...

I can confirm that running an external disk works ok, but you tend to
need a slightly longer cable than standard (or to add an extension
cable).  There's a plate on the back of the shark (for a parallel port
cable?) which can be loosened and the ide cable passed through it.

R.