Subject: Re: Is pccons of any use in shark?
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/11/2007 17:43:42
On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> jmmv84@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> 2. After the above, any reason not to kill pccons and remove it from
>>     the tree?
>
> I left pccons when I wrote wscons support for shark because
> - i386 still had it (for INSTALL_TINY)
> - there were few report about wscons
> - I'm not sure if there is any size restriction for openfirmware
>   to load a.out kernels

So, can we kill it?  I don't like the fact that the pccons code is
duplicated all over the tree.  E.g. I found a bug in shark's pccons
that had long been fixed in i386; I'm afraid there may be other
instances of similar problems.  (Sure, we'd sync the two drivers, but
cannot see the reason to do so.)

Now that both INSTALL and GENERIC use pccons, I doubt anybody will
use pccons instead of wscons.  And getting rid of old, unused code is
a worthy goal I think :-)  (Less maintenance headaches, less obsolete
code to look at.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>