Subject: NetBSD on the Armadillo-9 (especially EP9315 raster engine, VGA, X11)
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Raphael Langerhorst <raphael@raphael.g-system.at>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/17/2006 16:46:15
--nextPart1193572.zL9H7GJFG7

Hi,

I've spent some time on getting the EP9315 raster engine to work properly=20
(using the Armadillo-9 board).

I've based my work on the epfb patch by HAMAJIMA Katsuomi
ftp://ftp.nagoya.bug.gr.jp/pub/hamajima/ep93xx/epfb.diff.gz

The result is so far a functional wscons/wsdisplay using rasops which means=
=20
that you can now have a virtual terminal on VGA + USB (a "normal" desktop=20
computer).

Now that things basically work I will clean up the source and prepare a pat=
ch=20
so that this finally gets into CVS.

X11:

I do want to have X11 on this board.

A question is, whether X11 can run on a wsdisplay(?) or is it necessary to=
=20
write an X11 driver?

I've previously tried to compile X11 for the evbarm architecture, but the=20
result is so far never complete (the XFree86 binary is missing).
So I was wondering if anyone is running an X11 server on an arm9 board? Doe=
s=20
anyone have a tar ball of /usr/X11R6 that I can download and use for=20
NetBSD/evbarm CVS HEAD ?

AHB arbitration priority:

Another smaller detail is the bus arbitration priority (BusMstrArb register=
 -=20
part of syscon).

In order to get a usable (non-flickering) terminal using the VGA output, th=
e=20
priority must be set to 11, which gives the Raster the highest priority on=
=20
the AHB bus. Currently I'm changing the priority in the attach function of=
=20
the epfb driver. I wonder whether this is the preferred way of doing=20
things(??)

Another possibilities I see would be either a sysctl or a kernel configurat=
ion=20
option. Any suggestions/preferences? Or should I implement various ioctl=20
calls for setting the bus priority (but then not in the epfb code, right? a=
nd=20
where should it be?).

A reason for leaving the configuration in the epfb attach function would be=
=20
that you usually only want to change this setting when you actually _use_ t=
he=20
raster engine. Thus it would be reasonable to leave it there just as well.=
=20
What do you think?

Best Regards,
Raphael