Subject: Re: How to build gzboot?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/28/2006 20:24:08
On Thursday 28 September 2006 18:38, Allen Briggs wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 05:06:11PM +0200, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
> > Is gzboot required to boot kernels on ARM/XScale platforms?
>
> Not in my experience.

What is gzboot used for then? What's it's purpose?
According to your former email you cat gzboot "inserting" it to to the image:
$ pwd
.../evbarm/compile/MYKERN
$ nbmake-evbarm-el && cat /path/to/gzboot netbsd.bin.gz > /tftpboot/image

What actually happens there?

> > RedBoot> load -v -r -b 0x01600000 netbsd.gz
>
> Is this netbsd.bin.gz or netbsd.gz.  That is, if you gunzip it,
> is it a raw binary file or an ELF file?  The command you used
> is to load a raw binary file.  I would expect an ELF file to
> fail.

The kernel I used was a gziped netbsd image:
# /usr/obj-xcale/sys/arch/evbarm/compile/IXDP425]> file netbsd
netbsd: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM), statically linked,
not stripped

So you mean I should rather use netbsd.bin ?
I actually did not notice/know there was a .bin kernel image in the compile
directory.

> > RedBoot> go -n 0x01600000
> > $T050f:01600000;0d:03fc0fec;#de
>
> That's not actually garbage.  It's a serial debugging protocol
> string representing a trap, I believe.
>
> -allen

Does the rest look OK ? The partition table of my redboot and the memory
address I chose to use?

And thanks a lot for your answer Allen.

Marcin.