Subject: Re: WFI idle for ARM926EJ-S/ARM1026EJ-S
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/08/2006 18:31:48
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:43:55 PDT, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Note, this should be controllable by sysctl -- a couple of years ago,
> I discovered that using the powersave mode on Xscale, anyway, led to a
> huge performance drop in a server appliance application.
>
> It should probably default to "powersave enabled", and let
> applications that need the extra performance tune for that.

I agree with the basic suggestion, but I'm not sure a boolean is a good
idea.  Wouldn't a general power-management policy framework be better?
Yeah, I know, it's more work, but it's much more flexible, and would fit
in well with the ability of some cores and boards to adjust their clock
and voltage levels dynamically.

R.