Subject: Re: arm board as a thin client
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/06/2006 13:56:12
> I have one server that acts as an X11 Terminal Server and a few other PCs that
> connect to this server as X11 Terminals (XDMCP). I would like to use
> low-power, low-noise arm boards as thin clients instead. They only need to be
> able to run an X11 server,

There are number of video capable ARM SoC on market.  As already pointed
out, however, some of them can not perform well for larger frame size since
most have just underpowered CPU and lack of careful consideration for video
circuit bandwidth.  (Hey, UNIX engineers learnt it over 10yrs ago when
market dashed to build colour Xterminal, didn't they?)

Take a look at the recent announced Philips ARM9 SoC.  They are aware of
the effective memory bandwidth and added a programmable crossbar to
utilize multiple buses.  The issue is if it works as advertised.

Another example to survay is "Jack PC"  The decision is up to you.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology