Subject: arm board as a thin client
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Raphael Langerhorst <raphael@raphael.g-system.at>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/04/2006 16:53:02
--nextPart2004279.Wzzaa4t2np

Hi all,

I'm looking into lowering the power consumption, noise and size of my compu=
ter=20
network infrastructure (that is, replace a couple of fat PCs with small arm=
=20
boards).

I have one server that acts as an X11 Terminal Server and a few other PCs t=
hat=20
connect to this server as X11 Terminals (XDMCP). I would like to use=20
low-power, low-noise arm boards as thin clients instead. They only need to =
be=20
able to run an X11 server, either from an PXE boot image or an on-board (CF=
=20
or MMC card) installation. The main requirement is probably a graphics=20
adapter that is capable of 1024x768 with 16 or (if possible) 24 bit colours=
=2E=20
This naturally means memory requirements of more than 1 MB (1MB is typical=
=20
for PC 104 or similar graphics adapters, AFAIK).

http://www.embeddedarm.com
What about the TS-7300? Is it already supported by NetBSD?
The TS-7200 has no graphics adapter on-board, but has PC104 interface.

The armadillo has 8 bits in 1024x768, and AFAIK the TODO file even says tha=
t=20
X11 isn't working on that board yet.

It would be even better if the graphics adapter has a DVI interface instead=
 of=20
VGA.

Does anyone have experience with using arm boards as thin clients? Which bo=
ard=20
would you recommend? I would appreciate any experience and suggestions.

The server is of course running NetBSD and I also want the arm boards to ru=
n=20
NetBSD, naturally.

Thanks a lot!
=2D-=20
Raphael Langerhorst
http://raphael.g-system.at
PGP Fingerprint: FB70 E4F0 40EF 071B F266 40D4 32C6 A578 46C4 8559