Subject: Re: Is netbsd-3.0/ld.elf.so is thread safe ???
To: sushant mathur <sushant.iet@gmail.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/13/2006 13:22:20
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 07:41:23PM +0530, sushant mathur wrote:
> I am using netbsd-3.0 for developing some multi threaded application on arm
> port. My Application uses multile threads which uses dlopen with RTLD_LAZY

It's thread-safe WRT multiple CPUs doing lazy binding at the same time.
This is guaranteed by having the binder not modify any internal data
structures, only doing atomic updates to the PLTGOT at the end.  (This
was not the case in old versions of NetBSD.  I fixed it several years
ago.)

However, multiple simultaneous calls to dlopen() will probably lose.
This would be fairly easy to fix if someone cared.